Friday 17 July 2015

Our Lucky Day.

As mentioned in some of my earlier posts the Small Red-eyed Damselfly is a relatively recent addition to the fauna of the UK.The male is colourful damselfly and can normally be seen passing the time on a lily-pad usually some way out on the pond.Therefore I am fortunate to be able to visit a modest sized garden pond  where this damselfly can be observed at close quarters.
It is early in their season so today there were just a few males to see on their lily-pads.The photo below of a teneral male Red-eyed was a result of its near fatal encounter with a strand of spiders web.The damselfly was struggling in vain to free itself from its snare just an inch or so above the water and some short distance out on the pond.Taking a handy hosepipe I managed to free it using the end of the hose and it happily clung to my finger until I deposited it onto a pondside leaf.My reward was several photos of this youngster who eventually fluttered off into cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment